Clive Engine House, Dyserth, Denbighshire
CPAT was invited by WS Atkins, on behalf of Denbighshire County Council, to undertake a detailed archaeological survey of the Clive Engine House and surrounding area. A digital topographical survey was undertaken by CPAT to record the plan of all standing structures, along with the earthworks of associated features. A geophysical survey was also carried out over the same area, undertaken by ArchaeoPhysica.
Left: Clive Engine House © CPAT cs02-11-27
Talargoch Lead Mine
The Clive Shaft was sunk between 1842-45 and was originally equipped with a hydraulic pumping engine. This was installed in a stone-lined underground engine house. This was later replaced by a steam engine with a massive 100 inch cylinder and 10ft stroke, housed in a new stone-built engine house constructed on the surface next to the shaft. The adjacent boiler house contained seven boilers, which also powered a horizontal steam engine, used for the capstan and winding at the nearby Drawing Shaft. The engine house remained in operation until the Talrgoch Mine closed in 1884.
The archaeological surveys have identified the main structures associated with the engine house, including the boiler house, flue, chimney, drainage culvert and bob-pit, as well as revealing other mine workings and structures. Some of these were contemporary with the engine house, such as the base of the steam engine winding at the Drawing Shaft, while others, such as a whim circle and numerous shafts, are likely to belong to earlier phases of activity.
Nigel Jones, May 2002