Resurrecting a medieval house in Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr
CPAT is currently engaged in excavating the interior of a late medieval hall-house at Ty Draw, Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr, near Llanraeadr ym Mochnant. We know from dendrochronological dating that the building was originally built around 1480, at which time it was entirely of timber cruck-frame construction. Later rebuilding replaced part of the timber-framing with random rubble stone walling, although retaining the crucks, while an additional building was added to one end. The main hall-house was eventually abandoned and became used as a barn, surviving more or less intact until at least the 1950s.
Left: Ty Draw in February 2002 © CPAT cs02-15-02
The excavations are being undertaken in advance of an ambitious project to rebuilt the timber-framed hall-house. By early 2002 the building had seriously deteriorated and storms during March finally caused the surviving roofing to collapse. All of the surviving timbers where rescued, however, and have been put into temporary storage on-site. It is intended to retain as much of the original timbers as possible as part of the reconstruction.
The hall house appears to be fairly typical of the local area, having been constructed on a revetted stone plinth projecting out from the natural slope. Excavations by CPAT at a similar site, Tyddyn Llwydion, also near Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, revealed important information about the internal layout and usage of the building and it is hoped that the results from Ty Draw will be similarly encouraging, furthering our knowledge and understanding of these late medieval buildings.
Nigel Jones, December 2002
Privacy and cookies