CPAT Regional Historic Environment Record

PRN 30628 - Welshpool, Broad St 21-22
Listed Building 7766 (II )

NGR :- SJ2250307510 (SJ20NW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Welshpool
Prefered site type :- 18th century ? - House (Building - Intact )

Late 18th century house on corner of Broad Street/Church Street. Altered 19th century shopfront. Two bow windows, now of plateglass, possibly originally of small panes.

Dated 1736. Brick with ashlared stucco facing. 3 storeys and dormers. 4 regular, nearly flush sash windows with glazing bars and moulded cases. 3 pilaster strips on upper storeys. Noteworthy for c1900 shopfront of 3 tall bow windows within which are 3 mirror strips with coloured decoration of birds, flowers etc, likewise on glazed double doors on right. Slender panelled pilasters, with lozenges above, and cornice. A grocer's shop at least since late C18.

(Former listing description)

The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database

On the corner with Church Street.

The building is dated 1736, and was probably built by a local family, the Lloyds of Henllan. Although a single building, it was occupied as 2 until the late C19. By 1745 No 22 was occupied by a pharmacist, and later in the C18, by a grocer. It remained thereafter in continuous commercial use as a grocers' shop, incorporating No 21 in 1880. The adjacent buildings on Church Street appear to have been associated with it as warehousing from at least the early C19

Render over brick, with hipped slate roof, rear axial and end wall stacks. Late C19 photographs show the building with exposed brickwork and stone dressings including angle quoins - these now form the stressed angle pilasters. 3 storeys with attic, 4-window range, articulated by corner and central pilasters. Late C19 shop front occupying ground floor, with 2 entrances flanked by 3 tall bow windows, with side mirror strips enriched coloured decoration of birds, flowers etc. Continuous moulded fascia. 12-pane sash windows on each floor above, with cambered heads. String course over first floor, and central pilaster, together panelling the facade. Modillion eaves cornice, and 2 hipped dormers with 6-pane sash windows within the roof. 4-window return range to Church Street is also panelled by pilaster strips. It has disused doorway in moulded architrave to ground floor, and similar windows on upper storeys (the corner and third windows blind). 3 hipped dormers in the roof.

A very fine early C18 town house retaining much of its original external character, which is also of particular interest for the high quality of its late C19 shop front.

Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.55-6.

Sources:-
Cadw , 1981 , Powys: List No. 16 (Welshpool) , 15
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
Jones, N W, Silvester, R J & Britnell, W J , 2003 , Montgomery Canal Conservation Management Strategy. Landscape Archaeology Assessment , CPAT Report 550 .
OS record card , 1978 , ,
Additional sources:-
Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.55-6.


record created 31/12/1989 CM89 - copyright CPAT , last updated 28/01/2003
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, CPAT SMR partnership, 2005 (and in part Crown, 2005 - as indicated)



CM - 16/04/2005 ( 01:05:22 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional HER
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email trust@cpat.org.uk , website www.cpat.org.uk