CPAT Regional Historic Environment Record

PRN 30646 - Welshpool, Church Street 5-8
Listed Building 7780 (II )

NGR :- SJ2251007537 (SJ20NW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Welshpool
Prefered site type :- 16th century ? - House (Building - Intact )

A C17th (and possibly C16th) house formerly of timber framed by with later brick front. Now three floors with dormers to rear though formerly 2 and attic. Most structural timber is re-used (noteably a carved joist serving as a perlin). Building was formerly the Black Boy Inn but is the now the home of The Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust.

Tablet inscribed (in italics) "Briscoe J M 1742". 3 storeys. Painted brick. 4 windows on top floor, 7 on 1st; flush sashes with glazing bars. Shopfronts, probably mid C19, have 3 pilasters each and 4-panel door on left. Vehicular through-passage on right. Brick bands between storeys.

(Former listing description)

A murder took place at 6 Church Street on the 14th June 1886. At the time it was a grocers shop. William Mabbot, the shop manager was posioned by William Samuels, a former employee (Brown, R L, 1999, 58-61)

The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database

Part of a continuously built-up row on the W side of the street.

A tablet carries the inscription Briscoe J.M. (John and Mary) 1742, but the building was later raised in height.

Brick with slate roof. 3 storeys, 7-window range to first floor, with 4-windows in upper floor. Ground floor shop fronts are restorations (or replicas) of mid-late C19 fronts, each with doorway to left and window alongside divided vertically into 4 panes with a single central transom. Slender pilasters to continuous fascia. Single earlier window between the shop fronts, and an inserted double doorway to the right. Traces of the original string course are visible over the central window. 12-pane flush-framed sash windows with cambered brick heads to first floor; 9-pane sashes with timber lintels below the moulded eaves cornice in the upper floor.

Upper storey retains roof timbers (themselves re-used) of the 2-storeyed building of 1742.

A well-preserved and substantially C18 building which forms part of a group of commercial and domestic properties on Church Street

Sources:-
Brown, R L , 1999 , Anguish and Achievement , Sayce Papers 5 .
Cadw , 1981 , Powys: List No. 16 (Welshpool) , 19
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
Jones, N W, Silvester, R J & Britnell, W J , 2003 , Montgomery Canal Conservation Management Strategy. Landscape Archaeology Assessment , CPAT Report 550 .

record created 31/12/1989 CM89 - copyright CPAT , last updated 28/01/2003
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, CPAT SMR partnership, 2005 (and in part Crown, 2005 - as indicated)



CM - 16/04/2005 ( 01:05:40 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional HER
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email trust@cpat.org.uk , website www.cpat.org.uk