CPAT Regional Historic Environment Record

PRN 30690 - Welshpool, High Street 37
Listed Building 7809 (II )

NGR :- SJ2232607629 (SJ20NW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Welshpool
Prefered site type :- Post Medieval - House (Building - Intact )

C1800. Same build as no 36. 3 storeys. Painted brick. Regular. 4 sash windows each, with glazing bars; but no 37 has central modern double doors with radial-bar fan in arch above and porch of 2 unfluted Doric columns and renewed entablature, flanked by large modern windows. No 38 has entrance with patterned fan. Bear Passage is largely under right end.

(Former listing description)

The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database

Opposite Park Lane.

Originally built as a pair, c1820 (and roofed as a continuous build with No 36); probably incorporating the fabric of an earlier building on the site - the Bear Inn was in existence by 1759. Formerly the Bear Inn, No 37 was later a private house and became the Conservative Club in 1898. No 38 was previously in separate occupation but was incorporated into No 37 c1950.

Painted brick with slate roof. 3 storeys, 4-window range with central entrance. Doric portico porch, renewed door with fanlight in moulded architrave, flanked by C20 inserted oriel windows to ground floor. The arched entrance to Bear Passage is partly included at the right hand end. Upper windows are 12-pane sashes with flat arched heads. 6-pane sash windows below eaves in upper storey. Coved eaves cornice, continuous with No 36. Rear wing largely a modern addition which may represent the reconstruction of an earlier range.

An early C19 tenement retaining some of its original character which forms part of a group of C18-C19 town houses on High Street.

Robert Owen, 'Welshpool Landmarks' Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol.38, 1918, p.176; Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.37.

Sources:-
CPAT , 2004 , ,
Cadw , 1981 , Powys: List No. 16 (Welshpool) , 29
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
Additional sources:-
Robert Owen, 'Welshpool Landmarks' Montgomeryshire Collections. Vol.38, 1918, p.176;
Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.37.


record created 31/12/1989 CM89 - copyright CPAT , last updated 28/01/2003
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, CPAT SMR partnership, 2005 (and in part Crown, 2005 - as indicated)



CM - 16/04/2005 ( 01:06:16 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional HER
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email trust@cpat.org.uk , website www.cpat.org.uk