CPAT Regional Historic Environment Record

PRN 30692 - Welshpool, High Street 41
Listed Building 7810 (II )

NGR :- SJ2234707623 (SJ20NW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Welshpool
Prefered site type :- Post Medieval - House (Building - Intact )

Mid C18. 2 1/2 storeys. Brick. 3 sash windows, the one on right missing its glazing bars. On previous survey ground floor had one 3-light sash window and pair of contiguous narrow 6-panel doors, each with fluted Tuscan columns and diamond-work overlights, but shopfront has destroyed all except door and columns on right. 2 hipped and sashed dormers with pilasters. Modillion cornice, with moulded kneeler above on left (perhaps earlier), corresponding to one at other end of range, on no 45.

(Former listing description)

The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database

Part of a terrace immediately above the Town Hall.

Pair of houses (now shop and restaurant) built as part of a longer terrace including Nos 43-44, and probably mid C18 though considerably altered with changing uses. The property belonged to the Kynaston family, and title deeds refer to a 'messuage, dwelling house or inn ... lately rebuilt' in 1747.

2 storeyed with attic, a 5-window range. Brick with slate roof: the brickwork painted to No 41, and rendered with mock-timber cladding to No 42. Stack on right hand gable, and towards rear in No 41. Originally, the 2 houses had paired central doorways in architrave with entablature hood, and with lattice glazed overlights to panelled doors. One of these doorways survives, though blocked. Modern shop fronts occupy the rest of the ground floor to either side. No 41 retains 2x12-pane sash windows with flat arched heads: previously similar windows in No 42 are 2-pane sashes. Modillion eaves cornice. Hipped dormers in roof have 6-pane sash windows. No 41 has short rear wing (rubble) extended in the early C19 by a rubble and brick warehouse range.

Included notwithstanding C20 alterations as C18 town houses retaining some early detail and forming part of a group.

Robert Owen, 'Welshpool Landmarks', Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol.18, 1938, p.174 & 180.

Sources:-
CPAT , 2004 , ,
Cadw , 1981 , Powys: List No. 16 (Welshpool) , 29
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
Additional sources:-
Robert Owen, 'Welshpool Landmarks', Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol.18, 1938, p.174 & 180.


record created 31/12/1989 CM89 - copyright CPAT , last updated 28/01/2003
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, CPAT SMR partnership, 2005 (and in part Crown, 2005 - as indicated)



CM - 16/04/2005 ( 01:06:17 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional HER
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email trust@cpat.org.uk , website www.cpat.org.uk