CPAT Regional Historic Environment Record

PRN 30709 - Welshpool New St Chapel (English Congregational)
Listed Building 7823 (II )

NGR :- SJ2242107483 (SJ20NW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Welshpool
Prefered site type :- 19th century - Nonconformist chapel (Building - Intact )

Probably 1880s. Gable end to street of fawn terra cotta. 3 2-light early English windows with richly decorated heads, the middle one elevated over door with similar head. Small lean-to section on right with smaller similar door. Plainer parish hall on left not included.

(Former listing description)

The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database

A prominent feature of New Street.

The English Congregationalists launched an appeal to raise funds for a new church in 1844: an engraving of the proposed church (and as built) is dated 1844, naming the architect as J.Vaughan of Oswestry. No longer used as a church, it is now a shop.

Gable facing the street is yellow terracotta; other elevations are local rubble with brick dressings. Slate roof. Wide gable articulated by 3 stepped arches with foliate capitals to shafts and nail-head enrichment to arches. Highest central arch houses doorway and Y-traceried window above, both similarly enriched. Y-traceried windows in outer arches, which are recessed above the plinth. Foliate capitals to outer pilasters, and coping to gable. Similar smaller entrance in gabled porch to the side of the building to the right. Return elevations are blind, but articulated by thin pilaster buttresses. Canted projection to E end has simple Y-traceried windows, the central one blind.

An undivided space with a gallery carried on cast-iron columns to the W. 4 king-post collar trusses with traceried panels braced and sprung from wall-posts. Shallow canted E end (formerly housing organ), recessed behind arch with foliate capitals and nail-head enrichment. Similar detail to flanking windows, which have stained glass.

The building retains much of its character even though it is no longer in use as a church. An unusually early example of its style, the building is also notable for the exceptional quality of the terracotta work to the principle elevation.

Privately owned subscribers list.

Sources:-
Cadw , 1981 , Powys: List No. 16 (Welshpool) , 34
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
Jones, N W, Silvester, R J & Britnell, W J , 2003 , Montgomery Canal Conservation Management Strategy. Landscape Archaeology Assessment , CPAT Report 550 .
Additional sources:-
Privately owned subscribers list.


record created 31/12/1989 CM89 - copyright CPAT , last updated 28/01/2003
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, CPAT SMR partnership, 2005 (and in part Crown, 2005 - as indicated)



CM - 16/04/2005 ( 01:06:34 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional HER
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email trust@cpat.org.uk , website www.cpat.org.uk