CPAT Regional Historic Environment Record

PRN 42434 - Welshpool, Broad Street 42
Listed Building 16624 (II )

NGR :- SJ2238607575 (SJ20NW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Welshpool
Prefered site type :- 19th century - House (Building - Intact )

Listed building.

The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database

In the upper part of the street NW of New Street, opposite the Town Hall.

Dated 1816 but with earlier fabric, and remodelled in the later C19, probably c1860. The Montgomeryshire Bank was housed on the site of No 41 in the early C19: in 1816, one of the partners (Sir Arthur Owen of Glansevern) died, and Beck's bank took over the site, probably building the existing premises. The building was later taken over by Lloyds who remained in occupation until 1976. No 42 may have been built as a dwelling (in association with the adjoining bank) but was in commercial use by the late C19.

Stucco, rusticated to ground floor, and lined out above, slate roof with end wall stacks. 3 storeys, a 5-window range, divided as 3 windows to No 41, 2 to No 42). No 41 has central doorway flanked by tripartite sash windows with segmentally arched heads with stressed voussoirs. Passage entry and doorway to No 42 alongside each other, with segmentally arched shop window to their right. Upper windows are 4-pane sashes to first floor, and 6-pane sashes below the eaves above, all in moulded architraves; continuous sill band to first floor. Modillion eaves cornice and blocking course.

A fine example of an early C19 commercial and domestic building.

Robert Owen, 'Welshpool Landmarks', Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol.38, 1918, p.159; Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.69.

Sources:-
CPAT , 2004 , ,
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,

record created 25/09/2001 CM01 - copyright CPAT , last updated 28/01/2003
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, CPAT SMR partnership, 2005 (and in part Crown, 2005 - as indicated)



CM - 16/04/2005 ( 06:53:41 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional HER
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email trust@cpat.org.uk , website www.cpat.org.uk