Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Whitford in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ13407860.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 102779 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead (Early 18th century-1864, 1901-1902)
In the 1720s, the Quaker Company was raising ore from the Garreg site using a whimsey. Although good ore was being raised, it was only workable in the summermonths due to flooding.
Shafts lie to the north and south of the road from the Maes Achwyfan Crossroads to Whitford.
The Garreg Vein was worked in the woodland of Coed y Garreg and on the farmlands to the east of this.
Two shafts are located in the woodland to the south of the road at SJ13407870, SJ13357863; and to the north of the roads in the woods at SJ13387875. North of Garreg Farm, a further two shafts are located at SJ13707820 and SJ14007780.
The Quaker Company referred to Garreg as 'Windmillfield', which suggests that possibly a windmill was being used to try to overcome the problems of flooding in the mine.
A whimsey was in use to raise the ore and the Newcomen Engine shaft of the 1730s period was reportedly still flooded out in winter (Bevan-Evans).
There is no remaining evidence of these features.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies