Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
(also known as Speedwell)
lies in the community of Holywell in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ17507610.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 102918 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead (Early 19th century-1891)
The area worked from the mid-19th century to 1891 by the Speedwell and Grange Mining Companies remains to the south of the Holway Road in the vicinity of Grange Farm.
Returns were registered for Grange Farm in 1879 only and the NGR given as SJ173763.
The sett worked a cross-course of the Holloway Vein. The Grange Farm Buildings formed the centre of the sett at SJ17307635. A line of shafts can be traced to the east of the farm running in a north to south direction. The most easterly of these relate to
the Pantynef Vein.
Larger shafts remain at SJ17367620, SJ17367616, SJ17407618, SJ17407613, SJ17437617, SJ17447614, and SJ17427608, all to the east of the woodland area.
Shafts to the east of the farm remain at SJ17247630 and SJ17277624.
The area in general has later been the site of quarrying.
The earthwork remains of the quarry incline that connected the Grange and Coetia Butler Quarries with the sett can be seen to run slightly south-westwards from the farm area.
The earthworks remains of a reservoir can be identified at SJ17157634.
The processing areas surrounded the farm buildings.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies