Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Gwernymynydd in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ21306240.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 103216 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver/Zinc (Early 18th century-1906)
Coal Measures and Cefn-y-fedw Sandstone with chert beds.
The Pilkington and Cathole Vein run eastwards from the River Alyn. The Lords of Mold worked the St Catherine's Mine, which later bacame known as the Gwernymynydd Mine from 1730s. The mine sett was to the east of the Cathole sett and was first worked in the
19th century by the Glan Alyn Mining Company.
The line of workings can be traced running eastwards from the old Cathole sett at SJ20606270 running slightly parallel to and to the north of the main Mold road through Gwernymynydd village. The vein crossed the road and continued to the southern side of
On the eastern extremity of the vein, the workings lie on Gwernymynydd Farm. At SJ22206250 a shaft and horse whim platform, probably No 1 shaft or St.Catherine's whimsey (Williams 1987) lies in the field to the east of the road to Fronissa. At SJ22306255
a filled shaft, the largest of this group is approx 4m dia with no evidence of a whim. At SJ22406255 a filled shaft, approx dia 2.5m and at SJ22456260 a filled shaft and elongated low spoil heap. Ironstone nodules were visible along with brittle dark
shales indicating coal geology. At SJ22506260 a filled shaft remains, surrounded by coal geology. At SJ22506255 a filled shaft is surrounded by sandstone blocks and brittle dark shale. At SJ22706260 the mound, appears to be dumping rather than a shaft.
The evidence of coal geology suggests that these features would be trial workings.
The arched stone adit level dating from 1739 lies now immediately below the new By-Pass road, near Bryn Coch Farm at SJ22706262.
Documentary evidence lists the following shafts as belonging to Gwernymynydd Mine;
No 1 Engine Shaft, No 2 Shaft or Treasury, Tom and Jerry Shaft, being 140yds deep, Shaft Las, Rainbow Engine Shaft, Edwards Shaft, Williams Shaft and Boundary Shaft.
The sett was worked by the Brunner Mond Company from 1896-1903.
The only remaining evidence of power source is the horse whim platform.
Documentary evidence states that 'a powerful Cornish engine' was working on No 2 Treasury Shaft, when it was deepened to the 200yd level, between 1896 and 1903 (Smith 1921 p82). No.1 Engine Shaft is also documented and a reference to a small engine at Tom
and Jerry Shaft.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies