Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Minera in the county of Wrexham. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ25405250.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 104270 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (Early mining-1861)
The Eisteddfod sett worked the area to the north of the disused Eisteddfod Farm (SJ25445246) on the Red Vein. The returns detail Eisteddfod to 1861, with a Wm Harris as agent 1863-65; Wm. Harris was also the chief agent for Lower Eisteddfod 1863-65 (no NGR
given but likely to be Caepant (104271) sett), and for Minera Union 1862-64, a sett worked in close proximity at SJ253525.
The Steddfod Company were working in the same area to 1861 according to the returns (Burt 1993).
Engine Shaft is located at SJ25385261 along with the stonework remains of its engine house. To the west of the engine house one shaft is evident at SJ25335261 and a shaft fenced off with a possible whim at SJ25285264 (possibly Eddys shaft).
A shaft mound at SJ25245274 (possibly Weston shaft) lies on the northern side of the leat.
The highest part of the Eisteddfod workings seem to be a series of shaft mounds in the vicinity of the remains of a rectangular building at SJ25225264. A large shaft remains to the north of the buildings at SJ25125268. This building and the surrounding
workings may be part of the Twelve Apostles Mine Sett (18210).
The workings of possibly Lower Eisteddfod or Caepant are represented by the shaft mounds that remain to the south of Ty Newydd at SJ25505242 and SJ25495245.
The stonework remains of the mid-19th century engine house stand at SJ25385261. It survives to approx 3m in the section relating to machinery mounting; the likely two walls to suooort thr flywheel being intact. The north-eastern wall of the wheelpit has
been used in full for the cattle shed conversion. The dressed stone has been re-used along with rough stone patching for the remaining two walls. The whole shed has a galvanised roof. The remaining stonework lies under an earth bank.
Horse whims are evident on the sett.
A watercourse runs the perimeters of several named setts. It can be traced coming in to the mining ares from south of Bryn Eithin (SJ24605250), continuing in a north-westerly direction, it enters Steddfod Pool (SJ24905265); it leaves by a brick sluice at
SJ24945265, curves to the north to pass Twelve Apostles sett at SJ25105250, Minera Union at SJ25305250 and Eisteddfod at SJ25305260. It continues south towards the Limestone Quarry. The leat, stone-lined in parts, probably fed the dressing floor areas at
Eisteddfod, which remain as earthworks in the vicinity of the shaft at SJ254225250.
The dressing floor area appears to be at SJ25405250. The stonework remains of a building associated with the dressing floor remains set in earth banks at SJ25435251.
Weston Shaft appears to have had an adjacent building and a track leading to it from the Ruthin Road.
The rectangular building at SJ25225264 appears to be divided into four rooms and may relate to the Twelve Apostles sett.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies