Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Penycae in the county of Wrexham. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ24254880.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18035 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (Late 19th century)
Cefn-y-fedw Sandstone overlying Carboniferous Limestone.
The Cefn-y-gist company worked the sett from 1880-1883. A large shaft is substantially capped at SJ24254880 with a large whim cicle of approx 9.5m diameter forming a hollow to the south of the shaft. Its central pivot is a visible hollow. Spoil mounds
surround the east and north-western perimeters of the shaft. Two smaller shafts lie to the north and south of the large whim shaft.
A pond remains to the east of the whim shaft at SJ24304880.
The vein can be traced as a line of shafts running north-westwards from the whim shaft. A large shaft at SJ24004880 has an ore waggon in the infill. Smaller shafts surround this area and much waste. Small platform areas surround the large shaft and a
small hut of approx 3 x 1.5m lies to the east of these spoilheaps; the area being to the west of the Lead Wash.
An adit level was driven in to the limestone half a mile to the west of Cefn-y-gist (Smith 1921). This appears to be driven in to the east slopes above Aber Sychnant at SJ23304910, where a blocked level appears below the road amid spoil heaps. A trial
shaft and an opencut lie slightly to the north of the above adit and a blocked level to the south. The levels and trial pits in this area could pre-date the 19th century workings higher up the mountain.
To the east of the road that runs up from Minera, and attributed to West Minera on Brenton Symon's Map of 1865, shafts remain being to the west of Cefn-y-gist and along the lie of the Cefn-y-gist Vein at SJ23704895, SJ23754940, and SJ23904990.
A tramway incline runs from the large whim shaft at SJ24254875 in a north-easterly direction towards an ore bin and picking floor, from which area it continues to the Lead Wash area (SJ241048980). The 1914 edition OS shows a track leaving the Lead Wash
area and going eastwasrds to Youdes' shaft. All tracks from the Cefn-y-gist sett are masked by the dense heather.
A fine example of a large horse whim circle remains at SJ24254875.
The pool at SJ24304880 and the natural springs that run downhill in the area would have served the dressing floor areas.
The 1914 OS marks the area of SJ24104880 as the Old Lead Wash. The area remains cleared of all structures having only the stone walls of one rectangular building surviving. The area remains barren in a moorland of dense heather, with debris of odd dressed
stone blocks, iron jig plates, slate roof tiles.
A fine ore bin remains and washing and picking platform along the tramway incline.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies