Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Halkyn in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ20807010.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18073 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (Early 18th-1876)
The sett worked the Pantygof Vein in Carboniferous Limestone.
Little evidence remains of the later large-scale mining operations, the area having been the subject of a land reclaimation scheme in the early 1970s.
Smith (1921) records the principal shafts on the Pant-y-gof Vein as being Trustees, near Engine House, Pant-y-Gof Shaft, 200yds north-east of Engine House, Eaton's Shaft, along with two levels: Deep Level and one on Eyton's shaft.
The sett was drained by the Halkyn Deep Level Tunnel, which was commenced in 1818.
The sett was later incorporated in the DeepLevel Mines and in 1928, the mine became part of the Halkyn District United Mines Ltd.
The Halkyn District United Mines ran an underground railway from the Pen-y-bryn Shaft (SJ20307070) along the sea-level tunnel to connect the workings; the cars transported both ore and men (Richardson 1936).
A large reservoir at SJ20657010 now only remains as earthworks.
A new mill was built around the Pen-y-bryn Shaft in 1932 (Richardson 1936).
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies