Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Cilcain in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ20206780.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18096 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (Early 19th century-1987)
Hendre Mines worked to the south-west of Nant-figallt woods on the east to west Coed-Hendre Vein.
The Hendre Ucha Mining Company were operating in the Rhydymwn area from 1861-1866 also (Burt, 46).
Spoil mounds indicate a shaft at SJ20706770 on wasteground to the south of housing, being one of the early eastern shafts on the vein.
The principal shafts on the Coed Hendre Vein are recorded from east to west as Fron, Victoria, Mostyn Old shaft, Engine shaft, Olwyn Goch and Taylor's.
A single shaft remains to the east of the sett at SJ21406740 on the northern perimeter of the Rhosesmor Quarry, which may be the easternmost shaft of the Hendre sett.
The main mine working area in the late 19th century now lies within the quarry area to the north of the A541 and disused Mold to Denbigh Railway line. This late 19th century sett comprised 3 large engine houses, boiler houses and chimneys. A track
following the eastern perimeter of the quarry passes the remains of the engine house and chimney at SJ19826780 and the engine house at SJ19806780. The site of the third engine house, shaft and chimney lies in the quarry area at SJ19706778.
To the south of the main road a second area of workings remain as earthworks at SJ19406760, where possibly three shafts were located.
The sett was incorporated into the workings of the Halkyn District United Mines in 1928. The company re-opened and deepened the Olwyn Goch Shaft at SJ20206780 to 490ft to serve as their main entry for personnel. The shaft acted as a down-cast shaft on
their ventilation system and was used for raising men and waste only. The chimney and red brick buildings associated with the later workings of this mine remain to the north of the A541.
Taylor's Shaft at SJ20406780 was used for pumping during World War 1 by the Ministry (Williams 1987).
No lead was mined after 1977, but men were employed in maintenance and tunnel repairs until 1987.
The underground workings of the Halkyn District United Mines were connected by a diesel railway that ran along the drainage tunnel between the main shafts of Pen-y-bryn (18015) and the Olwyn Goch shaft on the Hendre vein. The cars transported both men and
Evidence of the underground railway survives.
The Grade II Listed Engine House for the 100" pumping engine remains in the quarry at SJ19806780, with its adjacent brick chimney.
The red brick-built engine house built in 1917 to house electric motors to power the pumps in Taylor's Shaft remains in the quarry at SJ20406780.
The 1st edition OS map depicts three engine houses at work in the main mine area during the 1870s period at SJ19806780, SJ19706780 and SJ19906780.
The Halkyn District United Mines Company continued to transport the ore by the underground diesel railway to the Penybryn Shaft (18015) for treatment.
The offices, changing rooms, bath houses and lamp rooms survive at the surface of the Olwyn Goch Shaft.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies