Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
(also known as Merllyn West)
lies in the community of Whitford in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ14507670.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18112 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (Early 19th century-1893)
The Lloc Mining Company worked the western end of the Merllyn Vein.
The Lady Fielding shaft lies to the north-west of the crossroads at the Rock Tavern. The deep stone-lined shaft lies open and unfenced to the western side of the Grade II Listed Pumping Engine House at SJ14507670, on a parcel of land that is now for sale
as a building plot.
An area of grassed over waste lies to the north-west of the Engine House plot.
The shafts shown on the 1st edition OS Sheet V.12 to the north of the Mine may have been worked by Merllyn Mine also.
A horse pulley shaft was apparently in use in the 1850's and this could be the shaft to the west of the road A5026 from Lloc Service Station, not located.
Shaft mounds lie in the fields to the north of the Engine House site at SJ14207720, to the west of the woodland.
Returns for West Merllyn 1861-1889 (Burt,64) probably relate to the same sett.
The stone built engine house is in a poor state of repair, but survives to its' full height of two storeys with slate roof and a chimney, which indicates its adaption for later use. Its overall size approx 5m high x 4m long x 3m wide. Its timber lintles
remain in situ and the interior appears to have the original stairway and beams. The opening above the shaft is blocked up.
The foundations of the boiler house are in the undergrowth to the south-western side of the house, having a direct entrance to the Engine House. The engine house is possibly an 1850s Cornish type.
An 1857 reference mentions a horse pulley shaft sunk by John Ames and Co.
The entrance to Ty Maen (SJ14407660) bears a stone slab stating '230 yds above sea-level', obviously mine related.
The sett as mapped on the 1st edition OS Sheet V.12 covers the area of the Lloc Service Station, the showroom of which must be the mine office.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies