Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Whitford in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ13707650.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18172 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead (Early 19th century-1877)
The Pen-y-gelli Mining Company worked the western end of the Milwr Vein for a span of twenty years within the area of Pen-y-gelli Wood, and to the north of the A5026.
At least six large shaft mounds lie on farmland to the south of Pen-y-gelli Farm and to the immediate east of the woods. Shafts are within the woodland to the north of a large Quarry, Chwarel Pen-y-gelli, the most obvious being at SJ13487635, SJ13497637,
SJ13557640 and SJ13587651. The dense vegetation (July 1993) prevented a thorough survey of the woodland area.
On the 1st edition OS Flintshire Sheet V.11, shafts are located to the south of the new A55. Only two shaft mounds are now visible at SJ13755570 and SJ13705565. The area on the 1st edition map was marked as Ffrith y Garreg Wen Training Ground, possibly
these workings were related to Pen-y-gelli.
The Mining Journal of 18/4/1857 lists two 30" pumping engines for sale at Penygelli and Orsedd Mine.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.