Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
(also known as Cefn)
lies in the community of Cefnmeiriadog in the county of Denbighshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SH99507330.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18178 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (18th century-1865)
To the south of Bodelwyddan Castle, a vein that was worked for lead runs southwards and was worked by the Plas Newydd Mining Company in the 19th century.
A line of shaft mounds can be traced southwards from Glascoed to Coed-y-Ddol. The most discernable being to the south of the old Roman Road as it runs through Glascoed at SH99207370, SH99457342, to the west of an old quarry and SH99307315, to the north of
The sett was worked by the Cefn Mining Association according to a contemporary Mining Journal of 1851, which advertised the mine for sale with 26" cylinder steam pumping engine working the 61yds deep Engine Shaft. The Cefn Mine probaly worked to the north
of the Plas Newydd Company.
No evidence of this site could be identified. However, the land owner has noted that the area of the field where the site is located was particularly stony when ploughed. (CPAT Tir Gofal assessment, 2003)
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies