CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record
PRN 38259 - Ffrith Roman site, building II, High Street/Valley Road, excavation 1870
NGR :- SJ28455535 (SJ25NE)
Unitary authority :- Flintshire
Community :- Llanfynydd
Prefered site type :- 19th century - Excavation (Event - )
Hypocaust discovered in 1870 during the cutting of foundation trenches. It was located in the angle of the High Street and the street leading to the Blue Bell (Valley Road) (Palmer, A N, 1903, pp122).
Flue-tiles were 'met with' and it was stated that there were plenty remaining in situ (Davies, E, 1949, pp231).
Davies, E , 1949 , Prehistoric and Roman Remains of Flintshire , 231
Palmer, A N , 1903 , History of the country townships of the old parish of Wrexham , 122
RCAHM , 1912 , Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Wales and Monmouth II - County of Flintshire , 55-6
0 / Baked clay / Tiles / Roman / / () - Davies, E 1949
, last updated 16/07/2004
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, © CPAT SMR partnership, 2005 (and in part © Crown, 2005 - as indicated)
CM - 11/04/2005 ( 16:41:19 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email firstname.lastname@example.org , website www.cpat.org.uk