CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record
PRN 26678 - Fron Mill;Talerddig Mill
NGR :- SH929001 (SH90SW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Llanbrynmair
Prefered site type :- Post Medieval - Corn mill (Document - Destroyed )
Former corn mill now destroyed (Houghton-Browne, A 1977).
The manor of Talerddig or Tirymynach was a grange of the Abbey of Strata Marcella and it is tempting to suggest that the mill there owed its origins to monastic development. After the Dissolution, Nicholas Purcell of Dinthill claimed the manor and in 1587
the inquisition post mortem on his son Richard found him to be possessed of the water corn mill there (MR 1911, 343). Later, the mill came into the estate of Sir William Watkins Wynn (T 1839). In 1810 a Sunday School was started at Talerddig 'where the
mill floor was allowed to be used for this purpose' (R. Williams, Montgomeryshire Collections 19 (1886), 342). The site was adjacent to Talerddig Farm but the mill no longer exists (Barton, P G, 1999, 54).
Barton, P G , 1997 , ,
Barton, P G , 1999 , "A history and conspectus of Montgomeryshire water corn mills ", The Montgomeryshire Collections 87 , 54 .
Houghton-Browne, A list , 1977 , ,
Jones, D H , 1968 , Watermills in Montgomeryshire ,
record created 31/12/96
, last updated 14/12/00
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, © CPAT SMR partnership, 2003 (and in part © Crown, 2003)
CM - 15/11/03 ( 18:09:57 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email firstname.lastname@example.org , website www.cpat.org.uk