CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record

PRN 26732 - Pennant corn mill

NGR :- SN878976 (SN89NE)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Llanbrynmair
Prefered site type :- Post Medieval - Corn mill (Building - Damaged )

Former corn mill with overshot wheel, spurwheel and pair of stones. Now ruinous (Houghton-Browne, A 1977).

A little further upstream from the pandy is Ty'r Felin with a datestone 1740 and just above that was the corn mill, then occupied by John Griffiths but now gone, and replaced by a chalet-bungalow. Here are several millstones and two wooden millshafts in the garden. There was said to be a weaving shed higher upstream at Ty Mawr. According to a local informant the mill last worked about 1920. About 1889 the miller was William Lewis, a local churchwarden, at which time it was owned by Sir John Conroy (R. Williams, Montgomeryshire Collections 19 (1886), 111). (Barton P.G,1999,53).

Sources:-
Barton, P G , 1997 , ,
Barton, P G , 1999 , "A history and conspectus of Montgomeryshire water corn mills ", The Montgomeryshire Collections 87 , 53 .
Houghton-Browne, A list , 1977 , ,
Jones, D H , 1968 , Watermills in Montgomeryshire ,

record created 31/12/96 , last updated 16/08/00
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, CPAT SMR partnership, 2003 (and in part Crown, 2003)



CM - 15/11/03 ( 18:10:15 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email trust@cpat.org.uk , website www.cpat.org.uk