CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record
PRN 42064 - Bryn llys
NGR :- SH9028202710 (SH90SW)
Listed Building 18116 (II )
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Llanbrynmair
Prefered site type :- 19th century - House (Building - Intact )
The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database
The house is located on rising ground, set back from the main A470 and approached through fine iron gates on cast iron stanchions, to a long angled driveway. Further iron gates to the front garden. Ranges of animal houses stand further to the rear.
The house was built in the 1880's by the Williams-Wynne family as a gamekeeper's house for the estate.
The main facade is of snecked ashlar stone, probably of local origin, with a slate roof. Central stair hall plan with a brick and slated rear staff and service wing on the right side, which has been further extended in the re-entrant angle at the rear.
Two storeys, 3 bays, with a cellar under the left end bay. Central glazed door within a wide gabled arch-fronted stone porch. Decorative scrolled bargeboards, and side seats internally. To either side, 12-paned sash windows with thin glazing bars and
some crown glass, the openings having heavy slate lintels and sills. Nine-paned windows to the rear. Gable stacks built with buff brick. Wide boarded eaves.
Listed as a well-preserved example of an estate house of high quality construction, and of a size deemed appropriate to a more senior member of the estate staff.
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
record created 25/09/01
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, © CPAT SMR partnership, 2003 (and in part © Crown, 2003)
CM - 15/11/03 ( 21:55:10 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email firstname.lastname@example.org , website www.cpat.org.uk