CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record

PRN 30639 - Welshpool, Broad St 41-42
Listed Building 7774 (II )

NGR :- SJ2238607575 (SJ20NW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Welshpool
Prefered site type :- Post Medieval - House (Building - Intact )

Dated in metal letters over bank door 1816, but with earlier fabric and remodelling again in later C19. 3 storeys. Ashlared stucco, rusticated on ground floor. 5 unequally-spaced sash windows (3 to no 41, which has glazing bars on top storey). Side windows of no 41 are segmental-headed of 3 lights, as is very broad one on right of no 42. Bank has central door of 6 panels; no 42 has moulded-panel double doors on left. Brass plate reading "Town Clerk's Office" in Victorian copper-plate with bold flourishes. Renewed slate roof over coping and modillion eaves probably of early or mid C18.

(Former listing description)

The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database

In the upper part of the street NW of New Street, opposite the Town Hall.

Dated 1816 but with earlier fabric, and remodelled in the later C19, probably c1860. The Montgomeryshire Bank was housed on the site of No 41 in the early C19: in 1816, one of the partners (Sir Arthur Owen of Glansevern) died, and Beck's bank took over the site, probably building the existing premises. The building was later taken over by Lloyds who remained in occupation until 1976. No 42 may have been built as a dwelling (in association with the adjoining bank) but was in commercial use by the late C19.

Stucco, rusticated to ground floor, and lined out above, slate roof with end wall stacks. 3 storeys, a 5-window range, divided as 3 windows to No 41, 2 to No 42). No 41 has central doorway flanked by tripartite sash windows with segmentally arched heads with stressed voussoirs. Passage entry and doorway to No 42 alongside each other, with segmentally arched shop window to their right. Upper windows are 4-pane sashes to first floor, and 6-pane sashes below the eaves above, all in moulded architraves; continuous sill band to first floor. Modillion eaves cornice and blocking course.

A fine example of an early C19 commercial and domestic building.

Robert Owen, 'Welshpool Landmarks', Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol.38, 1918, p.159; Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.69.

Sources:-
Cadw , 1981 , Powys: List No. 16 (Welshpool) , 17
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
Additional sources:-
Robert Owen, 'Welshpool Landmarks', Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol.38, 1918, p.159;
Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.69.


record created 31/12/89 , last updated 11/01/94
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, CPAT SMR partnership, 2003 (and in part Crown, 2003)



CM - 15/11/03 ( 19:15:50 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email trust@cpat.org.uk , website www.cpat.org.uk