CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record

PRN 30675 - Welshpool, High Street 17-18
Listed Building 7799 (II )

NGR :- SJ2222107605 (SJ20NW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Welshpool
Prefered site type :- Post Medieval - House (Building - Intact )

C18. Severe substantial regular building of rubble. 3 storeys. 4 camber-headed 3-light mullioned windows (with transoms on lower storeys). Arched through-passage unaligned under 3rd window. 8-panel door in wooden case with mutuled cornice and diamonds over pilaster panels (displacing 4th window to left). Modillion eaves cornice. Brick stacks.

(Former listing description)

The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database

Alongside the Talbot Public House, to the W of Chelsea Lane.

Little is known about the building history of this site: occupied by at least the early C17, there was at one time a poors' tenement known as Chelsea Barracks here: the unconventional form of this building, and the character of its detailing, suggest that the present building may have been intended for institutional use, though it is now a pair of private houses.

Rough local limestone rubble with slate roof carried on modillion eaves cornice; brick gable end axial stacks. 3 storeys, 4-window range, with passage entrance to right of centre. No 17 is entered from the passage; doorway to No 18 is at the far right, an insertion which displaces the otherwise regular alignment of openings. A passage entry corresponding to that in No 17 is disused. Incised 8-panel doors with overlight, in architrave with raised diamond motif in entablature, and mutules to cornice hood. Round-arched passage entry. Wide 3-light mullioned and transomed windows with small panes and cambered stone voussoir heads to ground and first floor, and similar lower mullioned windows in attic storey.

No 17 has steep early C19 staircase running up the centre of the house: 2 rooms on each floor to the front (modified to create one large room to first floor), and a large and a small room on each floor to the rear. Access throughout is directly off the staircase, an unusual arrangement in which the small rear room and the upper front room are approached via a small landing, and the rear large room via a secondary flight of stairs. The second front room is only reached via the first front room. Roof truss of unusual type, in which a king-post has chamfered joints with 2 pairs of braces, themselves cross-braced to the king-post and the tie-beam.

A striking urban building of considerable character.

Robert Owen,'Welshpool Landmarks', Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol.38, 1918, p.155; Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.30.

Sources:-
Cadw , 1981 , Powys: List No. 16 (Welshpool) , 26
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
Additional sources:-
Robert Owen, 'Welshpool Landmarks', Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol.38, 1918, p.155;
Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.30.


record created 31/12/89 , last updated 11/01/94
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, CPAT SMR partnership, 2003 (and in part Crown, 2003)



CM - 15/11/03 ( 19:16:03 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email trust@cpat.org.uk , website www.cpat.org.uk