CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record

PRN 30701 - Welshpool, Mount Street 9
Listed Building 7817 (II )

NGR :- SJ2213707604 (SJ20NW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Welshpool
Prefered site type :- Post Medieval - House (Building - Intact )

C18. 2 storeys. Painted brick. 2 sash windows missing glazing bars. Door of 6 fielded panels on right, with 2 pilasters. Bands over each storey. Wooden cornice of multiple moulding. Roof of small old slates.

(Former listing description)

The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database

Immediately W of Church Road

Until recently 2 separate units, comprising a private house (No 9) and a public house (No 10: in use as such by 1754), but amalgamated c1980-5. The pair probably represent a single phase of building, and No 9 is dated 1744 on a plaque with initials M over I.M. (John Meredith of Broniarth).

Painted brick with slate roofs; axial stacks set to rear. The pair are stepped in height to accommodate to their sloping site, and are similarly detailed though No 10 (to the right) is larger and has a central entrance. No 9 (to the left) has entrance to right: renewed doorway in moulded architrave, and 2x4-pane sash windows with cambered brick heads on each floor to the left. Plain plat bands over each storey, and moulded eaves cornice. 2 small gabled dormers in the roof. Rubble lean-to to rear, with 6-panelled door with canopy hood in return elevation to Church Road. No 10 is similarly detailed, but has central doorway in shallow porch with Tuscan columns carrying entablature. Flanking windows on each floor are 12-pane sashes with cambered brick heads. Plain bands above the storeys; coved eaves. Brick rear wing.

The two buildings represent a fine pair of mid C18 town houses which retain much of their original character.

Robert Owen, 'Welshpool Landmarks', Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol.38, 1918, p.155; Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.11.

Sources:-
Cadw , 1981 , Powys: List No. 16 (Welshpool) , 32
Cadw , 1981 , Powys: List No. 16 (Welshpool) , 32
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
Additional sources:-
Robert Owen, 'Welshpool Landmarks', Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol.38, 1918, p.155;
Ion Trant, The Changing Face of Welshpool, 1986, p.11.


record created 31/12/89 , last updated 11/01/94
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, CPAT SMR partnership, 2003 (and in part Crown, 2003)



CM - 15/11/03 ( 19:16:14 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email trust@cpat.org.uk , website www.cpat.org.uk