CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record

PRN 36449 - Welshpool, Severn Road Former Canal Warehouse
Listed Building 16724 (II )

NGR :- SJ2269307409 (SJ20NW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Welshpool
Prefered site type :- Post Medieval - Warehouse (Building - Intact )

Listed building

The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database

At right-angles to the canal, alongside the tow-path between the Severn Street Bridge and the Lledan Aqueduct.

The eastern arm of the Montgomeryshire Canal was constructed between 1794-97. The warehouse was built in the early C19 - part of a second phase of development of the canal wharf at Welshpool. It was occupied in 1845 by a canal merchant (Thomas Groom) and in 1859 by the canal company.

Roughly coursed and squared local green rubble, with slate roof. Gable facing canal has full-height loading bay divided as a door on each floor, in a heavy wood frame. Remains of housing for former external crane visible above. Return elevation to NE has similar wide openings, and a small boarded window beneath the eaves.

The warehouse is a fine example of small-scale canal architecture which forms part of a group of related structures associated with the major canal wharf at Welshpool.

Stephen Hughes, The Archaeology of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 1988, p.124.

Sources:-
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
Jones, N W, Silvester, R J & Britnell, W J , 2003 , Montgomery Canal Conservation Management Strategy. Landscape Archaeology Assessment , CPAT Report 550 .
Additional sources:-
Stephen Hughes, The Archaeology of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 1988, p.124.


Events:-
Assessment CPAT / 2003(31/08/03) -
Desktop study CPAT / 2003(31/08/03) -
HLC CPAT / 2003(31/08/03) -

record created 19/09/96 BC96 - copyright CPAT , last updated 10/05/04
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, CPAT SMR partnership, 2004 (and in part Crown, 2004 - as indicated)



CM - 10/05/04 ( 12:05:44 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email trust@cpat.org.uk , website www.cpat.org.uk