CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record

PRN 36453 - Welshpool, Severn Street Welshpool Town Lock
Listed Building 16729 (II )

NGR :- SJ2259407299 (SJ20NW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Welshpool
Prefered site type :- Post Medieval - Canal lock (Structure - Intact )

Listed building

Clearly shown on the 1840 Tithe Map for Upper Pool Parish. Originally constructed with wooden gates. In 1819, George Buck was appointed as engineer and replaced the wooden gates with cast iron ones in 1832, which remained in place until the 1970's but were removed to the Stoke Bruerne Waterways Museum, Northamptonshire (Frost, P, 1998).

The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database

Immediately S of the Powysland Museum.

The eastern arm of the Montgomeryshire Canal was constructed as far as Garthmyl to the S of Welshpool between 1794 and 1797; John and Thomas Dadford, engineers. The lock forms part of the original engineering work of the canal, with subsequent repairs (the gates were most recently renewed in 1973).

Blue brick lining to lock chamber, with stone dressings. Similar brickwork and stone copings to the lower retaining wall of the platform on the W side of the lock. A plank foot bridge with plain wrought iron rail spans the lock at its lower end.

A significant component of the engineering work of the Montgomeryshire Canal, and part of a group of canal structures at Welshpool town wharf.

Stephen Hughes, The Archaeology of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 1988.

Sources:-
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
Frost, P , 1998 , Berriew Road, Welshpool, desk top assessment and survey , CAP report 66 .
Jones, N W, Silvester, R J & Britnell, W J , 2003 , Montgomery Canal Conservation Management Strategy. Landscape Archaeology Assessment , CPAT Report 550 .
Additional sources:-
Stephen Hughes, The Archaeology of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 1988.


Events:-
Assessment CAP / 1998(/ /) -
Assessment CPAT / 2003(31/08/03) -
Desktop study CPAT / 2003(31/08/03) -
HLC CPAT / 2003(31/08/03) -

record created 09/10/96 BC96 - copyright CPAT , last updated 10/05/04
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, CPAT SMR partnership, 2004 (and in part Crown, 2004 - as indicated)



CM - 10/05/04 ( 12:05:48 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email trust@cpat.org.uk , website www.cpat.org.uk