CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record
PRN 72012 - Welshpool, The Parsonage House
NGR :- SJ22590760 (SJ20NW)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Welshpool
Prefered site type :- 16th century ? - Vicarage (Document - Destroyed )
First record of the parsonage house occurs in 1684, though it is believed to have been built in the C16th with later alterations. It was built partly of brick and timber, lath and plaster, covered with tiles, it had 2 parlours below stairs, a kitchen,
pantry and brewhouse, and upstairs 4 lodging rooms, a storeroom, and one garret above. Outside were various buildings associated with the glebe. A garden lay to the south side of the house and an orchard to the west, which stretched from the house to the
Lledan brook. By 1819, when William Clive was appointed vicar, the house was in a deplorable state (Brown, R L, 1996, 51-3).
Brown, R L , 1996 , "A house and a stipend. Housing and providing for the Vicar of Welshpool ", Sayce Papers 2 , 51-3 .
Jones, N W, Silvester, R J & Britnell, W J , 2003 , Montgomery Canal Conservation Management Strategy. Landscape Archaeology Assessment , CPAT Report 550 .
Assessment CPAT / 2003(31/08/03) -
Desktop study CPAT / 2003(31/08/03) -
HLC CPAT / 2003(31/08/03) -
, last updated 10/05/04
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, © CPAT SMR partnership, 2004 (and in part © Crown, 2004 - as indicated)
CM - 10/05/04 ( 12:09:07 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email email@example.com , website www.cpat.org.uk